Thursday, August 26, 2010

Paper dolls continued...

I'm almost done with my block-printed "paper dolls" project.


Before I went to Julie Arkell's workshop in France, I drew an illustration of two toddlers making snow angels. From that illustration, I made some "block-printed paper dolls" of the children. My goal was to experiment...to make stitches into the paper and add more media to them.

This is what I brought with me to the workshop. At this point, I had only carved a block print (outlines of children) and then printed them on top of collaged paper and acrylic paint.


At the workshop I added fabric to some of the girls' hats and made suffolk puffs (little fabric flowers) for the hats, stitched yarn into the girls' coat collars, made pom-poms for the top of the baby's snowsuit, and glued ribbon onto some of the coats.


Here's the lot of paper dolls as of today. They are cut out and are fulyl clothed. Now all they need is a background. I knit mittens for most of the baby dolls, stitched seed beads into the girls's jackets, added more of the same things I added during the workshop, and lastly, painted their faces with watercolors.




2 comments:

jone hallmark said...

Hey Girl - you've been busy!

Hope you are happy with your "babies"
Looking forward to having Di, I bet.

xo

Diane Foster said...

Jamie! These are fabulous! They looked great in France before you started to apply your bits and bobs - but now they are truly awesome creations! I love the cut out ones - they have real animation and the texture really brings them to life. Can't wait to see them up close!
Xxdi